The Archdiocese of Cuttack–Bhubaneswar comprises nine civil districts of Boudh, Cuttack, Kandhamal, Kendrapara, Khurda, Jagatsingpur, Jajpur, Nayagarh and Puri in the State of Orissa, Eastern India.
The Diocese of Cuttack was part of the Diocese of Visakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh) since 1845, then missionaries of St. Francis de Sales, (MSFS) established parishes and took care of the pastoral needs of the region. Due to First World War most of the French Missionaries went back to France. On 10 January 1922 a group of four Spanish Vincentian priests (Congregation of Mission or CM) came to Orissa and they replaced the French MSFS missionaries.
On 18 July 1928 Pope Pius XI declared the Mission of Cuttack “Missio Sui Juris.” Fr. Valerian Guemes, CM was appointed its Administrator and later on as the “Ecclesiastical Superior” of this Mission. In 1937, Cuttack Mission was elevated to a Diocese and made a suffragan of Ranchi Archdiocese and Rev. Msgr. Florencio Sanz Esperanza, CM, was appointed first bishop of the Diocese of Cuttack in 1938.
In 1948 he retired and Rt. Rev. Msgr. Paul Tobar Gonzalves, CM became his successor. On 18 April 1971 Bishop Tobar died and Fr. Vincent Urbaneja, CM was elected Administrator of the Diocese.
On 24 January 1974 Cuttack Mission was divided into the Metropolitan See of Cuttack-Bhubaneswar and the Diocese of Berhampur. Most Rev. Msgr. Henry D’Souza was appointed the first Archbishop of Cuttack-Bhubaneswar. He was ordained on 5 May 1974 in Calcutta. In the same year the Bishop’s residence was shifted from Cuttack to Bhubaneswar, the State capital.
In April, 1984 Archbishop D’Souza was called back to the Archdiocese of Calcutta. On 11 of August, 1985, Bishop Raphael Cheenath, SVD of the Diocese of Sambalpur succeeded him as the Archbishop of Cuttack-Bhubaneswar
| Archbisphop Raphael Cheenath, SVD retired and bishop John Barwa was announced Archbioshop of Cuttack-Bhubaneswar on february 11, 2011, Archbisphop-elect John barwa was installed Archbisphop of Cuttack-Bhubaneswar on April 2, 2011 at our Lady of Most Holy Rosary Cathedral, Cuttack.
The Archdiocese of Cuttack-Bhubaneswar comprises nine civil districts, namely Boudh, Cuttack, Kandhamal, Kendrapara, Khurda, Jagatsingpur, jaipur, Nayagarh and Puri inthe state of Odisha, Estern India.